(I’m typing this with a tear in my eye.)
Lila is six months old today.
This is a milestone. This is a watershed moment in time. A significant mile marker on the road map of our lives.
We’ve successfully, if you ask me, taken care of a living, breathing, burping, eating, sleeping, screaming, laughing, crying, little Cupcake for SIX MONTHS. WAH-WHO.
And, she’s still alive. And cute. And quirky.
We went to the doctor on Friday, and Lila’s doing quite well. She weighs almost 15 lbs. and is doing just fine in terms of her percentiles. Growing, strong, cute and fun. She still fits into her newborn pants (which are now cropped leggings), but is long. So her wardrobe includes newborn odds and ends, 6 month onesies and 9 month footed-pj’s. She’s a long, slim noodle.
Sigh… six months…
- We’ve been there and done the sleepless nights. (And still do them every now and then.)
- We’ve managed the first bath and the subsequent ones.
- We’ve figured out how to successfully nurse and feed and grow the Cupcake.
- We’ve nervously paced around the room wondering why she wouldn’t stop crying.
- We’ve walked and bounced and walked and bounced.
- We’ve handled doctor’s visits, vaccinations and even a cold.
- We’ve taken her on four airline flights.
- We’ve been embarrassed when she’s screamed in restaurants, grocery stores, car rides and more.
- We’ve been ridiculously proud when she smiles, rolls over, holds her head up, holds a toy or pets Ferg.
- We’ve been unfortunately caught without a diaper in the most inopportune of locations.
We’ve done it.
And she’s still alive.
She’s melted our hearts.
She’s made us love more than we ever, ever knew we could love.
She’s made us believe that life is good.
She’s broadened our respect for the goodness of God’s blessings.
She’s made us a family.
And we love her.