I understand it’s imperative to report the good things about living in another culture and another country, but today is Monday. And I’m annoyed.
1. WHY ARE THERE NO DRIVE-UP ATMs here? My bank has an ATM conveniently located in between my home and office and I must go there and park and then walk up to the ATM which is located in the strip mall.
Am I lazy? No.
But I’ll tell you what, it is 90 degrees at 9 a.m. It is HOT. I am wearing pants and am trying not to sweat BEFORE I go to work. I don’t want frizzy hair and my makeup sliding down my face. I JUST WANT A DRIVE UP ATM.
2. The parking lots. WHY ARE THE PARKING SPACES SO SMALL? When I lived in the States I would get so annoyed when another car would every now and then accidentally (I assumed) open their door into the side of my car and thus leave a small reminder of their close proximity.
Here? It’s the norm. The daily norm. THE spaces are no more than 5 ft. wide and EVERY car is HUGE. I have SO many dents and dings on my car and it DRIVES ME CRAZY.
And, I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I’ve WITNESSED people hitting my car with their car door and they have said NOTHING. No, “Pardon” no “Sorry about that”… NOTHING.
3. WHY DOESN’T ANYONE UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF MERGING? When driving on to the highway no one EVER gets over into the left lane to let you enter on the right nice and easy-like. Nope, you have to come to a complete stop… and then gun it.
WHY would you pro-actively think of letting someone else onto the highway by moving your car into EMPTY left lane? It’s just too easy. That’s the problem: it makes too much sense.
This happens every.single.day: I attempt to merge. They don’t move, even though the left lane is empty, I get annoyed.
4. WHY DOESN’T ANYONE STOP at a STOP sign?
The sign says, “Alto”. (Stop.) It doesn’t say “Slow” it doesn’t say “pause”… IT SAYS STOP.
This is incredibly easy to understand. Stop sign = stop driving.
5. YOUR CAR COMES WITH A BLINKER. It’s also called a turn signal and it is to be used only when indicating that you are going to turn right or left — or not at all.
You can’t just DRIVE down the highway in the left lane with your left blinker on because you’re carrying a mattress on your VW beetle’s roof.
OR, you can’t just omit the blinker from your everyday driving because it’s too difficult of a concept to learn. It is a courtesy. It alerts people as to your intentions while on the road so that we all can attempt to get from Point A to Point B without some massive accident.
6. CHILDREN NEED A CAR SEAT. Why on earth would you insist on holding your infant while you drive? Are you kidding me?
I wish I could say that I’ve only seen this once or twice.
And the toddlers and small children standing in the backseat of your car? THEY NEED CAR SEATS, TOO. And don’t even get me started about the kids riding in the backseat of pickup trucks while sitting on folding beach chair or old mini van bench seats.
7.WHY ARE THERE STREETLIGHTS INSTALLED THAT DON’T WORK? The streetlights installed by the Mega round-about have been there for what? Four years? WHY HAVE THE NEVER BEEN TURNED ON???
It’s one of the most dangerous intersections in Cabo and it has streetlights, yet they have never been installed properly.
All of this, just drives me CRAZY.
Next up: A post about all of the things I love about Cabo. However, today? I needed this.