As it turns out, my dear husband and I have been together (sans even one breakup) for fifteen years as of today. Nope, we haven’t been married that long (it’ll be nine years in October), still I am a firm believer that today shouldn’t go unnoticed.
When did this happen? Has it really been this long? It seems like I blinked and we grew up, got married and had babies. Insane.
You make me happy, my friend. You make me happy.
In honor of today I made a list of 15 things. Ah-hem.
- I love that whatever you do you do it right. You never take shortcuts. You never doing anything halfway. You’re quality.
- I love that when it’s time for dessert at a restaurant you never look at me, you just say to the waiter, “Why don’t we check out the menu?” You’re a mind reader.
- I love that our first date was when we were 17 and 19 years old. And that your friend, now my brother-in-law, made me sit in the backseat while he rode shotgun.
- I love that you laugh at 94% of my jokes. That’s a fantastic percentage.
- I love that I can always, always, always count on you. If you say you’ll be there at 6 p.m. — you are THERE at 6 p.m. You word is your bond.
- I love you’re SAFE. Your arms, that hug, that calm voice… you steady me.
- I love that you laugh hysterically at mindless comedies. And that you love animals. You’re good people.
- I love that you wrote me at least one letter per week that I was in college. And you mailed those letters to me because you knew I loved cards and letters and stamps. Kind and thoughtful, you are.
- I love that you’re a walking encyclopedia. I ask you a question, you immediately know the correct answer. It’s perfect. You’re my google.
- I love that you’re neat. Everything is in it’s place because that’s how it should be. I envy that gift. (I’m sorry I’m so disheveled.)
- I love that I still learn new thing about you on a regular basis.
- I love our history. We have FIFTEEN years of memories together. Some are hilarious. Some aren’t. But they’re ours. And I love that they’re ours.
- I love that you can cook/create/fix/make anything. You’re my renaissance man.
- I love your honesty. You’re filled to the brim with integrity and people respect you. You get what you see, with you. And that is such a good thing.
- I love that we are a family. Who would have thought, all those years ago, that we’d be living in Cabo with two daughters? Ah life, it’s a funny thing.
The truth of the matter is that there’s no one else on this planet that could handle me for as long as you have. I know you love me and you know I love you.
This is a partnership and I have to believe it’s because we started out as friends who respected one another… well, and I thought you were cute.
Today, we’re marrieds who are still friends and who still respect one another. The only difference between June 20, 1997 and June 20, 2012 is that I love you more. And I have better hair.
Craig Ross – here’s to 15 years. I’ll be chilling a bottle of Boone’s Farm’s finest in the fridge tonight… 🙂
Seriously though, I love you far more than words (even all the words on this here blog) — could ever, ever express.
Happy 15 years together.