May I introduce you to the best cut-out cookie recipe EVER?
Soft. Fluffy. Delicious. The cookies actually taste better as the days march on. (I’m serious.)
1 1/2 cups butter, softened, unsalted
2 cups of white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla*
1 teaspoon almond extract*
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
*Sometimes I add more than a teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract, depending on my mood. AND, you don’t have to add almond extract. The vanilla is fine as a stand-alone flavor but the almond is so lovely.
1. Cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and then the flavors (vanilla and almond extract).
2. In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add to batter and mix well.
3. CHILL the dough 3-4 hours or overnight before using. (I prefer overnight.) Note: the dough keeps well in the fridge (covered container) for a week or so.
4. Roll out cookies approximatley 1/4 inch thick. Place on cookie sheet.
5. Bake cookies at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. (I always take them out at 8.)
Frost however you like with store-bought or homemade frosting.
This recipe is never the same for me because a.) we eat a lot of the dough during the process (Yes, I’ve heard of salmonella.) and b.) some people in my family roll out VERY thick cookies and others roll out very thin cookies. So, I say you’re going to get at LEAST 50-60 cookies.